Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Christmas in July | 2017

Merry Christmas in July, guys!

If you've been around here for a while then you probably know that I am not a big fan of summer, which is unfortunate since I live in the land of perpetual summer. So, when it feels like 102 degrees outside and the holiday season seems at least another 6 months away I like to celebrate Christmas in July. It brings a little bit of wintery cheer to the summer and it makes me happy.

Last year I went a little overboard. I was pregnant with Lincoln and I knew that the next actual Christmas would be with two kids instead of one, so I wanted to go all out for Christmas in July for Aria before we toned it down for (real) Christmas since we'd have a new baby to take care of. We put up the Christmas tree, we made two festive dinners, we did crafts, we made treats, we watched Christmas movies, we read every single Christmas book we could get our hands on, etcetc.

It was a blast.

This year I brought it back down to reality a little bit. But, y'all...I was so tempted to borrow Great Grandma's tree to put up.

Here is what we did do though...

Sweet Turtle Soup - Christmas in July | 2017
Instead of trying to squeeze Great Grandma's tree in our car trunk Aria and I crafted our own little paper tree. It was a case where the vision I had in my mind turned out even cuter in person, and it was super easy. Aria and I glued a bunch of green construction paper together and then I cut out a tree shape. Aria cut out the star and I cut out the circles for ornaments. A little double sided tape later and instant tree.

Sweet Turtle Soup - Christmas in July | 2017
Sweet Turtle Soup - Christmas in July | 2017
We made our favorite Christmas kiss cookies. 

I'll be stepping on little circle sprinkles for a week.

Sweet Turtle Soup - Christmas in July | 2017
I pulled all of Aria's Christmas books down and we read just about every single one.

Sweet Turtle Soup - Christmas in July | 2017
Sweet Turtle Soup - Christmas in July | 2017
Aria made some snowglobes, which I saw on momfessionals at some point in time and the idea stuck in my mind.

I had a few more crafts on the agenda, but we had an unfortunate man eating spider incident that took up about an hour and a half of my time and at least 4 years off of my life. Merry Christmas in July to me, right?

Sweet Turtle Soup - Christmas in July | 2017
But, we also enjoyed hot cocoa with kiss cookies along with lots of Christmas music. Aria wore her fancy Christmas dresses. A Christmas in July present appeared under our paper tree - a new book to bring on an upcoming trip (she knows it was from mom and dad though). And, after I tucked the kids in bed I put on The Holiday for a little festive end to the 'holiday'.

It was the perfect touch of holiday to tide me over until September...when the real fun starts!

I could have done without the spider though.

9 comments:

  1. I love love love that you celebrate Christmas in July. The Christmas tree came out so dang cute and those snowglobes are adorable! I will have to see if Mason will make some with me this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE all this! Minus the spider. Thanks for not sharing photos ;) The Holiday is so good. Now I'm in the mood for Christmas movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking if you were observing Christmas in July, love this. Though to be honest, we watch Home Alone pretty regularly around here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man eating spider!? You lost me there! This is great you guys do this! Matt would think I'm nuts though! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can always count on you to celebrate and I LOVE it! I really want to get a little bit crazy one year. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you do christmas in July!! So much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to do Christmas in July but Summer is so busy for us, I never make time for it. I love that you take the time to make it a warmer holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun little celebration! I remember when you did it last year and was super impressed that you brought the actual Christmas tree out :) I love the paper tree idea though; I may have to do that with the kids in December. What is this spider incident??? Sounds a little scary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We cherish the summer when it is here.. we have it for such a little time we don't want to squander it away. But spending over a decade in a tropical country I know how horrible summers can be. Which is why we wanted to live in a place where we can experience all the seasons.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.